Oak Panelling And Door In The Study At Holywells

Door panels ill ins. by 7A ins. sight. Overdoor 3 ft. 4 ins. by 1 ft. oi ins. Mid-sixteenth century.

J. Dupuis Cobbold, Esq

a house in the town, to the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1889, but it is known that they were taken from the. Abbey buildings, when they were demolished in 1760. It is noted that they were purchased by the town at this date, and fitted up in the house from which they were finally taken, when the Museum authorities acquired them. How they came into YValtham Abbe}' is not so certain. It has been suggested that Robert Fuller, the last abbot, had them made for his lodgings. Fuller was a wealthy prelate, Abbot of Valtham and Prior of St. Bartholomew, Smithfield, and his apartments would, undoubtedly, have been sumptuously furnished, but there are evidences, in the panels themselves, which suggest a later date than 1526. In the large detail, Fig. 279, we have the Beaufort portcullis, the Tudor rose, and the chevron

MANTEL IN THE STUDY, HOLYWELLS, IPSWICH.

MANTEL IN THE STUDY, HOLYWELLS, IPSWICH.

9 it. 6J ins. wide over column bases ; 8 ft. n ins. wide over pilasters ; 8 ft. ij ins. sight-size of panel ; 2 ft. 6J ins. height of pilasters ; columns 2 ft. 10 ins. to mantelshelf. Jlid-sixteenth century.

J. Dupuis Cobbold, Esq.

OAK PANELLING IN THE STUDY AT HOLYWELLS, IPSWICH

Lower panels 24J ins. by Si ins. Upper panels iSi ins. by gi ins. sight,

J. Dupuis Cobbold, Esq

M 05 CM

ta E

M 05 CM

ta E

ffi u

c en

0 0

Post a comment